Thursday, February 25, 2016

Half-way Reflection


This is the image google uses in it's definition of Entrepreneurship. So far I have really enjoyed this course and I think the image above defines it well. I have definitely developed the skills needed to succeed in this course.  In the beginning, when the assignments would require video recording and going out and talking to actual business owners, interviewing random people, and various other intimidating activities, I would forgo doing those assignments because I was much less comfortable doing them.  As I saw my grade slip, I learned that I just have to be confident and go out and do the assignments, even if they are intimidating.  As I did more and more assignments, I became so comfortable with going up to random strangers and entrepreneurs and asking if I could ask them a couple questions.  I was frustrated that I lost those points earlier in the course, just because I was nervous about the assignment.  My advice to those students who are taking this class next semester is just to jump in and start learning to be comfortable with the activity based assignments right away, because you eventually will have to. When I was interviewing Entrepreneurs, I interviewed someone who I realized was just the owner of a chain restaurant, so he did not create the restaurant himself.  After searching for more entrepreneurs and running into this same problem over and over, I felt like giving up.  But I stuck with it, and told myself I would try a couple more businesses; and I found a business owner at the next shop I went into, who was willing to be interviewed.  The key is persistence, so I would encourage future ENT students to be persistent, confident, and driven.  Its important to stay on top of the work and check canvas frequently, as deadlines can pass quickly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally Cassie on doing the video recordings and just walking up to people and asking them questions. I think it really makes you stronger as a person and are able to handle rejection much better. Persistence is a large factor in this class and I am glad that you found that and shared that with me. Please check out my blog http://soulstosteal.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,
    I agree with you that persistence and courage are a key to succeeding in this class, in your college education, and eventually when entering the work force. Sometimes, even if we are scared or uncomfortable, we have to be able to step out of our shell and accomplish the task at hand. I think that this class is a good preparation for the real world and I also think that your tips to future entrepreneurship students will be very helpful. If you wanna check out my post, you can do so here:
    http://christheentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete