Thursday, February 18, 2016

Free Money


For this assignment, I went to the outdoor area between library west and Heavener Hall. I approached people who looked like they were busy walking somewhere, just as the assignment requested. I expected all 5 people to take my dollar, because who doesn't want another dollar? When the conversation started I just stopped people and kindly asked them if they wanted my dollar.  When they asked why, I just said various reasons such as "because its a nice day" or "because who couldn't use another dollar." I got an overwhelmingly positive response: 4 out of the 5 people I asked kindly took the dollar and walked on.  One guy, however, did not want the dollar, and walked away quickly. I went with a friend, who is also in ENT3003, to do the assignment, and I was surprised when so many people she asked did not want the dollar.  So in my opinion, giving away the dollar was a lot harder than I imagined, because I never imagined people saying no.  I did not make any assumptions about the people I went up to before I went up to them, I just went up to people abruptly and at random.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie! You did an excellent job. I personally could not give away all of my dollars. In fact, you gave out more dollars than I was able to. I was very surprised with this. I thought college students would not even need an explanation to take the dollar but I also did not think I would take the dollar immediately without questions if someone would have offered it to me. This assignment forced me to come out of my comfort zone but you seemed to have an easier time just walking up to random people and offering them a dollar. I think you will do fine offering a new service or idea to a passerby. Here is the link to mine if you are interested!

    http://myentrepreneurshipinizio.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! This was a pretty interesting and difficult exercise. You had a great success rate. Unlike you, I thought it was going to be harder to give away dollars; however, I was able to give away three out of five $1 bills. When I did this exercise, I was on campus. I think asking college students was easier and successful just for the simple fact that students appreciate free money and will almost always take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassie! I similarly used the same tactic to get people to accept the money, by saying for example "it's such a nice day" or "I was feeling charitable" (the latter received mixed reviews from people who thought I approached them because they "looked" like they needed help). However, the majority of people were very positively receptive to my offer and by the end I felt much more comfortable giving out the money. Great video and good job also coming off as genuine and friendly- it really makes all the difference! Check out my blog here at: http://ent3003anneperry.blogspot.com.es/2016/02/free-money_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Cassie. I liked how you just stepped in front of the guy in the second video :). I think people are worried you are trying to sell them something or if you give them a dollar they are sure you'll want something in return. That's why they are so hesitant. I loved your reasons, "because it's a nice day" lol. Good luck in the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete