The first video is an audio recording of my interview with the owner of Maude's Cafe, and the following three interviews are of three Maude's customers. It was interesting to see that what the owner thought Maude's biggest problem, was unmentioned in the interviews with customers. The customers seemed to thing customer service, the time it took to receive what they ordered, and the seating at the cafe was insufficient or less than desirable. They only rated these issues as a problem from about a 4 to a 6, so not too bad. The owner, however, did not mention any internal problems that Maude's had, but only mentioned the homeless coming to disturb the customers and ask for money. The owner did not accurately understand the customers problems, but the owner also did not know that I was going to interview her customers as well, so this might have been why she did not feel the need to disclose any internal problems, such as customer service.
Thursday, February 25, 2016
The Twenty Percent
The first video is an audio recording of my interview with the owner of Maude's Cafe, and the following three interviews are of three Maude's customers. It was interesting to see that what the owner thought Maude's biggest problem, was unmentioned in the interviews with customers. The customers seemed to thing customer service, the time it took to receive what they ordered, and the seating at the cafe was insufficient or less than desirable. They only rated these issues as a problem from about a 4 to a 6, so not too bad. The owner, however, did not mention any internal problems that Maude's had, but only mentioned the homeless coming to disturb the customers and ask for money. The owner did not accurately understand the customers problems, but the owner also did not know that I was going to interview her customers as well, so this might have been why she did not feel the need to disclose any internal problems, such as customer service.
Labels:
Week 8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it is very interesting how different what the business owners found to be problems and what the customer’s problems are. I think it is likely because some of the issues the customers brought up from a business end only so much can be done but from their point of view it is an issue that needs fixing.
ReplyDeleteI didn’t do this assignment but you can check out my blog here: http://ent3003blog.blogspot.com/
I do find it interesting the disconnect between the problems the business owner mentioned from what the customers said. I do somewhat feel that you're right in thinking she just didn't ant to mention any internal problems. For my blog post I interviewed a founder of Study Edge, so if you're interested in that I'll link it below.
ReplyDeletehttp://ent3003entreprenerdship.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html
Hi Cassie, great interviews! It seems that you have a good understanding of how to be clear and direct with your questions in order to make your interviewees feel as comfortable and open as possible. The results of your interview are also quite interesting, and I'm unsure as to whether the owner really lacked that much understanding of what customers complain about. It does seem likely that she would aim to cast to her restaurant in the best lighting, which could be considered a bit immoral. Great post, and unfortunately I missed this assignment, or I would provide a link to my own blog post.
ReplyDeleteHey Cassie,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a really great job on this post, and it definitely looks like you worked really hard. Personally, I love going to Maude’s cafĂ©, so I thought it was really cool to see the owner’s point of view! It was really interesting how the owner didn’t mention the same issues as the customer, and I definitely think it could have been because the owner was unaware that you were going to talk to other customers. Overall, I think you did great!
If you’re interested, check out mine too!
http://wallacestage.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Cassie, I like how you compared the issues viewed from the customers perspective and from the owner. However this exercise shows that the owner needs to do a better job at working with the customers to help resolve their problems. http://ochoasteven2018.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html?showComment=1457657376363
ReplyDeleteSorry for the spacing, I don't why it turned out that way.
DeleteHi Cassie,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job with your interviews. I think it is important as an entrepreneur to be able to look from the out side in. It is very easy to only perceive things from one perspective. The owner likely thought of the homeless problem as the worst because it is something they have to deal with every time, meanwhile the average customer has likely not had to deal with it so thinks of it as a non issue.
I was unable to complete this assignment so instead here is a link to my half way reflection: http://llogsdonent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html